August 26, 2010

Quick yet delicious BBQ Chicken dinner when running late

Just the other night I knew I was going to run late after visiting a friend. So I needed to get dinner on the table quickly. Before I left I prepared in just a few minutes what I needed.
Cut up some chicken breast pieces in small cubes-no perfection or geometrie required - and get rid of all the fatty pieces..I am really picky with the fat. Tossed the chicken pieces in a bowl. Got out my BBQ sauce and Dijon mustard and mixed the chicken with it. No other spices- the BBQ sauce has enough salt in. Covered it up and put it in the fridge.
I had some broccoli on hand so I trimmed it, washed it and put it in a pot with water- ready to cook. I knew I would have steak fries with it- so no prep necessary here.

First thing I did when I came back was preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Got my baking sheet pan out, alu foil to cover the pan (and save me the scrubbing later on). Added the fries and up in the oven with them. Set the timer for 20 minutes.

Next, while catching up with my husband and enjoying a glass of wine, I got my favorite grilling pan out and started heating it up on high. Added the chicken to the pan, turned down to medium and turned the chicken occasionally. At the same time started the broccoli on high - for about 10 minutes (or less if you like it more crunchy). Chicken was done in about 10-12 minutes. Still nice and juicy, not dried up. Just covered it up for the time being. Word of advise: Add water  to the pan as it usually is messy after using BBQ sauce..

Used the rest heat and melted some magarine (less than a tablespoon) in a small coated pan. Added a tablespoon of Garlic Herb breadcrumbs. Browned it. Threw in the broccoli and stirred it up a bit so that they all got coated and maybe even a bit crunchy.
Voila, fries were ready at that time. So dinner was ready to serve. Without any stress. I would say it was caloriewise probably in the 500-600 range..(not counting my wine!)
BTW: I had some leftover bean salad which goes really well with it.

Grilled BBQ Chicken with Crusted Broccoli and Steakfries
for about 2 servings and a bit leftover the next day
2-3 pieces of chicken breast-trimmed of fat and cut in 1-11/2 inch cubes or stripes
1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
3-4 tablespoons of BBQ sauce

1 crown of broccoli
1 tablespoon of butter or magarine
1 tablespoon of bread crumbs

Steak fries or sweet potatoe fries

 1.  Trim the chicken of any fat. Cut in small stripes or cubes. Toss in a bowl and mix up with mustard and  
      BBQ sauce. Let sit at least for 30 minutes.
2.   Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Put frozen steakfries on a baking sheet and add to the oven.Set timer to
      20 minutes.
3.   Preheat the grill pan on high , add chicken and turn down to medium. Turn a few times to avoid burning.
      Start boiling the broccoli at the same time.
4.   When chicken is done, put aside and cover. Drain the broccoli.
5.   Melt some butter or margarine and add breadcrumbs. Brown it , then toss the broocoli in it to get
      coated.
6.   Serve and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment