August 24, 2010

Healthy snack and great for a party

On one of the summer evenings I was craving for some snacks and I went on a search for dips. I always loved avocados but I've never made guacomole. I found a great, quick and easy recipe for a dip. But that's just half the story. I am not a great fan of chips- once in a while some wheat crackers are ok. I have read and heard a lot about pita chips. I bought some in the store, but urghhhhh -the amount of sodium just scares me. Again I went on a search and after reading a few recipes and how-to's  I got started with ......

Homemade Pita Chips and Avocado Corn Salsa

Homemade pita chips:
  • 4 wheat pita pockets
  • lemon pepper
  • garlic powder
  • onion powder
  • non fat cheddar cheese and or  parmesan cheese (fresh or dry)
  • Olive oil spray

Preheat oven to 400- 425 degrees.
Cuts the pita pockets  in  small pieces (squares or triangles) .


Separate the two halves and lay them out on a baking pan (which you should lay out with parment paper or aluminium foil- no clean up afterwards).  Spray on Olive oil spray, then sprinkle with pepper, garlic powder,onion powder. No salt, the bread has already plenty. If you like add some cheese on top..
The 4 pita pockets fill 2 baking sheets and they can be baked at the same time.


Bake in the oven for about 6-8 minutes. After 5 minutes start keeping a closer eye on it as you don't want to burn them. While this is going on you can start the avocado corn salsa.



Avocado Corn Salsa
adapted from Eatingwell.com
  • 1/2 -1 cup thawed frozen corn
  • 6-8 cherry or grape tomatoes(you could use regular ones but the small ones are sweeter)-quarted
  • 2 avocados chopped in small cubes
  • 1-2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • juice of 1 lime
  • a dash of salt

1-2-3.. add it all in a bowl and mix it up. Keep in the fridge or just dive in...yummy.

Both you can do in under 15 minutes. So if friends are on the way and you have all the ingredients on hand you can impress them with this healthy snack. Or you just give yourself a treat..

No comments:

Post a Comment