August 22, 2010

A new love - black beans

Wow, it’s been more than 6 weeks since my last post. I was so busy trying out new recipes. Und now I am wondering with which one to start with. I discovered a new love for black beans and I was on a mission to find different ways of using them. They have plenty of health benefits, are tasty and filling and so easy to use.
I started stocking my pantry with black bean cans, the low sodium kind of course. Another item that found a regular place in my fridge- cilantro. With those two and a fewother items on hand I can create some great salads or side dishes.

Roasted Corn, Black Bean and Mango Salad
adapted from Eatingwell.com


This one is so easy to make. While caramelizing the corn and keeping an eye on it you can dice up the rest of the ingredients and have a great salad ready in 10 minutes.


1-1 ½ cup frozen thawed yellow corn
1 clove of garlic minced
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 ripe mango – peeled , diced in small cubes
1 can black beans (low sodium) rinsed
1/2 of a red onion chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
3 tablespoon lime juice (about 2 small limes)
1 small canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce- minced
1 ½ tablespoon cilantro
¼ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon salt



Heat up the olive oil in a small pan(medium) and add corn and garlic. Stir occasionally until brown- about 8 minutes. The corn gets a nice caramelized look and taste.


While preparing the corn chop the rest of your ingredients and add to a bowl. Add the corn and mix everything together in a bowl. Cool in the fridge for about 30 minutes.


In less than 10 minutes you whipped up a great salad (or side dish to chicken or fish) . Great for lunch as well- just fill a a pita pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment